Thursday, June 6, 2013

Easy Pistachio Ice Cream

After making fresh strawberry ice cream last weekend, I was overcome with the need to make more. So, I went in search of a simple pistachio ice cream using the no-cook Southern Living base recipe, except it wasn't to be found.

I came up with my own and thought I would share it with you. This recipe takes very little time to put together and tastes amazing. My husband thought that this was a horrible ice cream flavor for me to make, only to be shocked at how much he loved it. I actually think an even better name for this would be Pistachio Macaron Ice Cream... because the almond extract and texture of the ground pistachios in the ice cream take my mind straight to eating a pistachio macaron in Paris.


Easy Pistachio Ice Cream
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 (5-ounce) can evaporated milk
4 tablespoons sugar, divided
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1.5 teaspoon pure almond extract
2 cups whole milk 
1 cup roasted, unsalted pistachio nutmeats (like these from Trader Joe's)

Combine sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, 2 tbs sugar, vanilla and almond extract, and whole milk in a bowl. Whisk until blended. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.

While the cream mixture is chilling, use a food processor to finely grind the pistachios with the remaining 2 tbs of sugar. Add the pistachio powder to the chilled mixture and stir well.

Pour the mixture into the freezer container portion of your ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.  When the ice cream has churned to the desired thickness, place the container in the freezer for 15 minutes. This prevents it from melting quickly while you try to move it to another container. Then, transfer the ice cream to an airtight container and freeze for at least 1-2 hours.  

Top with whole pistachios (optional) and enjoy!


Source
Modified from Southern Living 

2 comments:

  1. Seriously looks DELISH! I need to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pistachios and this looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips